My kaleidoscope quilt is finally done! The size ended up being 73 x 84. I used Warm & Natural batting, 100 percent cotton ecru thread for the quilting in the muslin areas and Bottom Line Caramel for the quilting on the kaleidoscopes.
When I first started on this it was only going to be a lap quilt, then I added a border…..and another border. Somewhere along the line I thought I was finished….and that must have been when I made the binding. Well last night I am sewing on the binding and guess what? I came up short. Fortunately I had a couple fat quarters left from that group and I was able to cut more binding. I am really surprised that is isn’t very noticeable.
I put the quilt on our king size bed to give you a idea of the size. Of course Bella had to check it out.
This quilt is heavier than I expected but it may be because I did quite a bit of quilting on it. I did a big stipple quilt in the printed areas. It actually looked prettier and had more depth before I quilted the kaleidoscopes but I know I wouldn’t be happy with it after I wash it.
This was pieced and quilted on my 1951 Singer Sewing machine. It is a 15-91 and I love it. It’s just a regular sewing machine. I think it is time for a new needle and a good cleaning. The next step is to put this big sucker in my washer! When we bought a new washer I specifically got one with a bulky item cycle and no center agitator.
Last night (10:30pm), when I finished the binding I treated myself to a glass of wine. I thought I’d share a picture I just received from a friend. This was taken last summer and I am the one in the red – just pretend it is wine and taken last night – I’m happy!