Make a fast and easy mug rug with my Christmas Tree Mug Rug Tutorial.
I whipped this up yesterday while blog hopping for all of the great giveaways. I found lots of new blogs to follow. If that is how you found me I hope you enjoy my blog and come back.
What I like about mug rugs is that there is no “set” size. I just make them whatever size works for the block or design I am doing. I’ll steal my photo from my table runner to show you the half square triangles (more about that below).
- Cut your squares 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 using the diagram below to see how many to cut
- Place the tree fabric right side up and the background fabric right side down on top of it
- Draw a line diagonally across, this will be your stitching line
- Stitch the seam
- Press the seam toward the tree print and trim off the 2 back pieces
- These are your HST’s – Half square triangles
I made my first one last week, then this one yesterday while blog hopping and forgot to take pictures of the steps so I made up these diagrams for you.
In the diagram above I should have shown the half square triangles as already sewn together, sorry. Sew each row together.
I added one 1 1/2 inch strip x 5 1/2 inch to one side and a 4 inch x 5 1/2 inch piece to the other side. Then I added two 1 1/2 x 10 inch strips to the top and bottom. I used Warm & Natural batting and did a swirly free motion quilting. I trimmed it to about 7 inches x 10 inches and added a 2 1/2 inch binding.
Here is another one I made using just one green print and put the tree on the right……you can make them whatever size you want. Are those stars or star fish in the background????
I also made a table runner with bigger trees! You can find it here.