I have a fast Christmas runner that could still be made before the holidays that can go along with the little mini Christmas tree mug rug I posted yesterday.
I used 4 different prints for each tree. You are going to make easy half square triangles by cutting your background fabric and tree fabric into 2 – 1/2 inch x 2 – 1/2 squares so let’s get started.
- Cut 2 – 2 1/2 x 2 – l/2 blocks of each tree fabric and 8 – 2 – 1/2 x 2 – 1/2 background fabric
- Place the tree fabric right side up and the background fabric right side down on top of it
- Draw a line diagonally across, this will be your stitching line
- Stitch the seam
- Press the seam toward the tree print and trim off the 2 back pieces
- You will end up with one half square triangle block
Now that you have your half square triangles (HST’s) we are going to add the rest of the pieces.
I have marked the sizes on the photo so you can save this to your computer for easy reference. I used a 1/4 inch seam.
Cut 2 background strips 2 1/2 x 10 1/2 and 4 – 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 squares from binding and sew the squares to the ends the same way you did the HST’s. Then sew them together. You will need 2 sets of these.