My batik barn quilt is all finished and I think Iowa Barns is a good name for it. If it wasn’t so cold out I would have taken a ride in the country and found a old barn for a backdrop. Since I didn’t do that you’ll just have to see Canadian geese as a backdrop.
The quilt size is 48 x 64. I quilted each block before sewing the blocks in rows and I didn’t quilt the background. I was going to after the quilt was all put together but so far I don’t think it needs it. This isn’t a quilt I will ever enter into a show….some of my blocks aren’t square and I choose a binding that matched the block background so it wouldn’t be so noticeable.
It is freezing but last week a lot of the snow melted. I thought I would lay my quilt on this pile of snow with the geese in the background but….
….the wind kept blowing it around. At least this way you get to see that one of the blocks has a different backing fabric. I actually had 12 blocks with the same backing but when I started piecing the blocks together I grabbed the wrong one. Works for me especially as I was short fabric for the one long binding row on the back!
I used some Aurifil thread for my free motion quilting that I did on my vintage 15-91 Singer.
This quilt is a QAYG (quilt as you go) and I have a tutorial on it here with plenty of photos to show you how to do it.
Here is a photo showing the front and also where 4 blocks come together on the back.
I just love the geese in the background!
Here are a few pics of the geese a little closer.
I didn’t even try to see if I could take a picture down by the river as the Canadian geese have left lots of…..droppings all over the ground.
The barn blocks were completed last year when Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet had a Barn QAL.
I will be linking this with A Lovely Year of Finishes and a few others.