Practice, practice makes a mellow yellow project! I decided to experiment with some clamshell shapes and raw edge applique. I used a glue stick to hold the pieces down on top of batting.
I forgot to take any pictures of the steps because…..this is my experimental piece…..old fabrics used to see if I like this look. I like it and will be doing a project soon with newer fabrics. I am seeing a pillow, tote or a table runner!
The mustard yellow prints are at least 15 years old and I think they were a VIP brand, I only have small pieces left. When I went to find a thread to bind the edge I was amazed to find a Aurifil thread that matched perfectly! I guess this color is popular again.
I used my AccuQuilt 4″ Clamshell die to cut the shapes out.
I love looking at Art Quilts and many times the edges are finished with thread……I think I need more practice with this. I used a zig-zag stitch with Aurifil 50 thread in the top and bobbin and went over it 3 times. I had read to not do a satin stitch and instead go around 2 times with a wider stitch. I’ll have to try this again.
On this die there are little points notched out for matching the pieces when sewing them together. Since I did raw applique I just cut these off.
The last two days we have had warmer temperatures and sun and last night it rained so it was neat to look out this morning and see that the Mississippi river has opened up! This has been a cold, snowy winter and I think it has been closed since Christmas. No sun shining today and I took this photo 1 hour ago.