Yesterday I finally made something that I planned on making a LONG time ago and for some reason never got it done. A piece of quilted muslin for a back drop of photos.
Did you happen to see Lori’s new tutorial at The Inbox Jaunt called Flower Power – when I saw it I immediately decided it was time to make my photo shoot quilt. I pulled out a piece of 60 inch wide white muslin and some warm & natural batting scraps and put the batting between the folded fabric. This gave me a piece about 30 wide x 40 inches long.
I did my free motion quilting on my vintage 15-91 Singer. Can you see the flowers?
Here is a little closer photo. I have done flowers like this before and they are fun, mine were probably a medium size and not nearly as neat as Lori’s.
Here is why I want a plain quilted piece…..to lay my blocks on instead of the yucky green of my cutting mat.
I like the way it looks but….I want it all crinkly.
I threw it in the washer on warm and then dried it on hot. I have the crinkly look!
Unfortunately the flowers disappeared! The piece is now 28 x 37, if I remember correctly I don’t think this was expensive muslin. I just zig-zagged the raw edges. I could press it but this is the look I wanted.
This almost looks like the photos I’ve been taking outside in the snow. These are two mug rugs I made with leftover scraps from other projects. I just got the binding on them.
I was finishing up this post and after I measured the washed piece I found myself wondering what it would look like if I did iron it so I dampened it, did some ironing and added some starch.
The flowers are visible again and the neatest thing about this photo……I was able to take it right over by the window without all the junk on my table showing! That is a little coaster I made that is only 3 1/2 inches square. I prefer my mug rugs.
I hope you enjoyed this and I now have one more thing off my to-do list!