Thank you for waiting patiently for the batik umbrella quilt tutorial. This is a quilt you can make in a day which means….I should have had the tutorial done sooner!
If you remember I designed the quilt for the April Showers Challenge presented to the Island Batik Ambassadors. Every month we get to make something different with their beautiful batiks. Next month we will do paper-piecing!
26″ x 26″ Quilt
My Batik Umbrella quilt was made with batiks from the Red Tide collection from Island Batik. This collection will be coming out soon.
Materials you will need:
- Assorted fat quarters of batiks (the more you use….more variety and color).
- 1/4 yard cream batik or muslin
- 1/4 yard black batik (for umbrellas)
- 3 – 2 1/2 inch strips for binding
- backing and batting – 32 x 32 inch square
- 1/2 yard Pellon Wonder Under or other fusible web
Cut the following:
- Cut: 120 – 2 1/2″ squares of the colorful batiks
- Cut: 4 – 2 1/2″ squares of the cream/muslin
- Cut: 5 – 7″ squares of cream/muslin (we will trim them later)
Make 4 Blocks:
- For each block -cut 8 assorted batik 2 1/2″ squares – total of 32
- For each block – cut 1 cream 2 1/2″ square – total of 4
- Sew the batik squares together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
- Sew 3 rows of three blocks, the center row will have a cream block on the end.
- Sew together and make 4 blocks.
- Each block should measure 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″.
- Trace the umbrella applique pieces on to clear plastic template and cut them out.
- Make a mark on each piece so you know what is the right side.
- Trace the templates onto the fusible web – turn the templates to the wrong side for two of them so your umbrellas are going in different directions.
- Follow the directions on your fusible and apply it to your batiks.
- Cut out the pieces of the umbrella and center on your 7 inch cream/muslin blocks.
- See this post for more information.
- Applique the blocks.
- Trim the blocks to 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″.
- Sew the blocks together – make sure the cream block faces toward the center of quilt as shown in the diagram below.
- Now it is time to add the borders, grab all those beautiful batiks squares and start sewing them in rows.
- Sew 2 rows of 9 – 2 1/2″ squares.
- Add the top and bottom border first.
- Make two rows of 13 – 2 1/2″ squares.
- Add the side borders.
- You could also make all of the umbrellas the same color as I have in this sample.
- Quilt as desired.
- Add your binding.
April is almost over so be sure and check out the posts from the other Island Batik ambassadors…..there are all kinds of beautiful quilts and projects!
There is a list at the bottom of my April Shower post.
I’m getting settled into my new blog, there are still lots of things I have to learn but so far I really like it. After being at Blogger for 6 years I can see things I already miss about it and lots and lots of options on WordPress that will be nice to have. Oh my gosh! I just realized it is the last day of the month!
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you have enjoyed the Batik Umbrella Quilt tutorial! If you make this quilt I would love it if you would share it with me! Comments and photos always, always inspire me.
I use affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, when you make a purchase I may get a small commission. Your support is very appreciated. Thank you!