Mini Around The World Quilt Mug Rug Tutorial
Today I’m sharing another fast and easy mug rug using some of the same batiks that I used in my X Block BasiX Tutorial that I shared last week. I have made a Trip Around the World quilt many times and I think this is my second mini one. If you like Trip Around the World quilts you should definitely stop by Wanda’s blog Exuberant Color. She makes all kinds of them!
Approximately 10″ x 12″
I happened to have fat quarters of batik fabrics that I used for this mini quilt.
- Cut 1 ½” strips from 5 different batik fat quarters from the 22″ length.
- Sew the strips together with a ¼” seam allowance.
- Sew the strips together to form a tube – this is what you usually do with larger strips – I think next time I make another Mini Trip Around The World Quilt Mug Rug I will NOT sew a tube.
- Cut the tubes or fabrics into 1 ½ strips.
- You will have 5 blocks in each strip – one of each color.
- Use a seam ripper to carefully remove the seams between the colors so you can make sections like below.
The diagram below shows you how to layout the rows for the mini Trip Around the World mug rug.
I still have some of the strip set left….I’m not sure what I’ll make with that…..another day.
I used a gold Aurifil thread for the stitching and also for the free motion stitching. By doing a little wiggle line cross hatching…..you don’t have to worry about making perfect straight lines and it is fast to do.
Add your binding and you have a mini Trip Around the World quilt that can be used as a mug rug or a mini on the wall.
Linking up with Show Off Saturday at SewCanShe!
I use affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, when you make a purchase I may get a small commission. Your support is very appreciated. Thank you!